Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Milestone Pod and other running related items...

...which may contain a little TMI.

My interest in running and yoga, as alluded to in my previous post, seems to wax and wane.  When I'm on a yoga high I'm all things yoga.  Same for running.  And when I'm on one of those highs I tend to buy stuff whether that's a new pair of running tights or a nice flowy yoga top.  With my recent running high I decided to tell you about a few of my recent running related acquisitions.  Some I have opinions on, others I haven't had long enough to form opinions on yet. 

First up...my new sneakers.  Here's the deal, I need to own as much stuff as I can so that I have as few reasons as possible NOT to run because the upcoming winter generally has a whole host of excuses not to run.  Well, this year I will have one less reason not to run.  I recently purchased the Brooks Adrenaline ASR 12 GTX.  I haven't picked them up from the store yet so I'm a little concerned reading the two reviews indicating they run small.  At the store they told me I shouldn't have to worry about them NOT being a narrow (which I usually special order if I'm buying Brooks Adrenaline regular sneakers) because these have a stiffer upper and will feel more narrow.  They even said they've put women in the men's version to account for this.  I'm hoping my narrow foot will find the fit works.  My theory is having a gore-tex sneaker with a more rugged tread will keep be running all winter long.  Fingers crossed!

Second.  One size fits all UNDERWEAR.  Yes, you read that correctly.  Under Armor sells a one size fits all pair of undies.  These were a bit of a Zulily impulse purchase.  Read the reviews on Amazon before purchasing.  A little mixed but one of the reviewers had similar dimension to me and she gave them 5 starts so I took a chance. I've run them once and, well, they are underwear.  I had no complaints.  They seemed to stay in place.  That might have had something to do with the particular pair of capris I had on at the time - compression - so I will have to try them again with a looser pair of running shorts to see if they stay in place as well.  But bottom line, I rarely wear shorts running anymore.  I'm almost capris or tights 100% of the time now so as long as they stay in place while wearing what I usually wear then I'm happy.  I just had to tell you about them because, well, one size fits all underwear?  Don't tell me you weren't curious!

While talking underwear though I might as well mention...third...Moving Comfort technical undies.  These DO come in sizes and I'm very happy with them as well.  And they do dry very quickly. If you haven't "upgraded" to athletic specific under garments yet I recommend investing in a few pieces. Wicking and quick drying fabric really does make a difference.  And I know I know...we're working out, we aren't supposed to care what we look like.  But underwear lines don't make me feel cute and I run much faster when I feel cute.  ;-)

I also recently bought three different sports bras by Moving Comfort.  They have a line called "Secure Collection."  I've decided these might be my favorites.  They are super comfortable.  The "Hot Shot" might be the best of the bunch though I really appreciate that Moving Comfort made a model, the "Fine Form", which has a hook and eye closure for those days I don't feel like being a contortionist in order to get in and out of my bra.  That one though, the straps seem to squeak a little.  Note, "Vixen" from their "Stabilize" collection has fallen to the bottom of the pile.  It is TIGHT around the band.  Not a fan.  And no secret here...I don't really NEED much "stabilizing."  :-P

Lastly, I think, is the Milestone Pod.  I've logged three runs on it now.  Was hoping to have better feedback on it than I do.  I mean, after two runs and calibrating it, my run Monday matched the mileage on my RunKeeper almost exactly.  That's cool.  But it keeps telling me I'm a heel striker.  Do I look like a heel striker to you?


Hmm...don't answer that.  But seriously, after seeing this picture and attending a Good Form Running workshop, I've made a concerted effort to NOT be a heel striker.  And it doesn't feel like I am, but the pod told me last  night that no matter how hard I try, I might always be a heel striker. 

So what is the Milestone Pod (if you didn't click on the link already)?  Its a little gadget that you lace into your sneakers and it automatically starts collecting data when it senses something that might feel like running to it using a variety of sensors.  It's small and light enough on the sneaker that I've never noticed it and since it syncs with your phone when you're done running (via Bluetooth 4.0) you technically don't need to have your phone with you on your run.  I do.  Because, podcasts.  But it's nice knowing that if I have a rainy or snowy run ahead of me I don't have to bring my phone and risk getting it wet. 


What information does the pod collect?  In addition to the stats below, it also calculates a run efficiency score which didn't make my screen grab but I'll chat more about that later. 


RunKeeper on this same run tracked me at 6.02 miles, a pace of 9:04 minutes/mile for a total time of 54:33.  I'm pretty sure that the Milestone Pod actually "pauses" when I do.  Looking at my splits from both devices this makes sense as I know during which miles Lexa wanted to take a break and when I had an extended period of time waiting for cars before I could cross the road.  RunKeeper tracked me at an average of 165 steps/minute to the pod's 169 steps per minute.  All in all I'm happy with the pod.  I'll probably always have my RunKeeper on me (or perhaps I'll get a Garmin watch one of these days - at which point I'll probably STILL run with my phone because (1) I love listening to podcasts and (2) it feels safer one long runs having the ability to phone for help should I need it).  I do like having an easy and cheap - $25 - way to track mileage on my sneakers.  I'm still trying to figure out what Leg Swing is and where you would ideally want it to be.  I had a short 2 mile run during which I set a metronome to 180 steps per minute to see how that cadence affected my stride and I can tell you that my numbers, especially leg swing, changed.  I was 48% low and 52% mid.  Is that better than 100% low?  I don't know!  I was faster though, my cadence was in the "ideal" range coming in at 178 steps per minute.  And the pod does calculate something called "run efficiency."  At the higher cadence my run efficiency score was 83, which is my highest tracked.  That number is calculated from a combination of stride length, stance time and cadence. 

All this is new to me.  I used to just run.  But with having had a few minor injuries over the years I'm trying to really focus on my stride and strengthening my "run muscles."  Hence my new Milestone Pod toy.  :-) 

I think one of the most effective running tools out there though might be a simple camera/video camera.  Here is another poached picture of me from the Wineglass Half Marathon. 


It's no wonder I often get stitches in my sides...I'm constantly rotating as I run.  My arms are crossing in front of my body and my torso is generally twisting.  This is very inefficient as it's using my core muscles to not only stabilize my run but to do this twisting motion as well.  This can really tire out your core prematurely.  So I'm working on trying to keep things straight as well. 

Ugh!  So much to think of while I'm running!!  I long for the day I can go out and just run.  When my stride has progressed to the point where I'm naturally doing all the "right" - or right enough - things so that I don't have to be thinking "am I twisting?" or "am I landing mid-foot?"  Nothing feels better than returning home from a 6-8 mile run and feeling as though everything went right.  Your pace was comfortable, your breathing wasn't labored, and maybe if you'd wanted to, you could have just kept on running.

So tell me...do you have any fun running related items/gadgets you're in love with?  Have you ever invested in gore-tex sneakers?  And Nike...does ANYONE else run in Nike sneakers or am I the only one??

1 comment:

  1. "This is a Vape Blogs smokclub brings together vapalien the best e-cigarette products currently on the market, the latest reviews, player discussions and discounts esmokvapor
    "

    ReplyDelete