Friday, October 23, 2015

Running out of time!!!

I only have two more nights with the house to myself before Matt gets home.  Call me strange (most folks already do), and I suspect it has A LOT to do with the fact that we don't have kids, but neither of us mind when the other goes away on a trip, whether business or pleasure.  Though I think the MONTH I was in NYC following Hurricane Sandy might have tested the limits a bit.  But when I disappear for 4-5 nights for a Ragnar Relay, and his biennial 11 day trip to Colorado, we can handle those.  Don't worry...this doesn't mean we don't love each other. :-)

Usually when Matt is away I spend time with my sister. Unfortunately, this time, she is away too.  Total bummer.  So I've had to entertain myself in other ways, like hanging with my friend Jen and catching up on all the stuff on the DVR that accumulated while I was in Missouri.

I also wandered around Wegmans for about an hour last night.  That's fun.  And I bought myself flowers.  Cheers up the room a bit I think!

Completely amused at my "glowing" vase.

The other day Matt had given me one job to do while he was gone.  Buy a pot to transplant some of our herbs from outside into so we can enjoy them all winter long.  Oops.  Fail.  Amazon delivered a new one that's about 1.5" shorter and should work nicely.

Look at me trying to be all "artistic."  Instead I think
I accomplished "poorly lit."

When it's just me (and Lexa) at home, I make coffee in my French press.  If Matt is home and drinking coffee as well, we use the regular auto drip so we only have to make one pot as the French press doesn't have the capacity we need for each of us to enjoy two (10-oz) cups.
 
Turns out that wasn't a baking pumpkin.  "Decoration" pumpkin it is I guess
with the last remaining flowers from our garden.


One day I need to run the French press and the auto drip side by side with the same type of coffee bean and similar quantity of grounds to see how  much of a difference there is.  Besides the fines on the bottom of the cup, could I actually tell the difference??  I splurged on an organic Sumatra coffee yesterday from Wegmans and used their machine to coarsely grind it.  I've been using my mechanical grinder and although it is great for grinding beans to be used in an auto drip or espresso maker, I find it incredibly inconsistent for a French press.  The resulting product is generally a mix of REALLY fine particles with a few practically whole beans.  I'll fore go freshly ground coffee for more efficiently ground coffee. 

I have to admit though, sometimes the cooking falls by the wayside when Matt isn't home.  I'm just not as motivated to cook for one as I am for two.  Yesterday though I did try a new recipes.  I joined a 5-day Facebook "event" during which each day 2-3 new "clean" and healthy crock pot recipes are posted.  You all know I'm a huge pressure cooker fan and my crock pot generally has to get dusted off each time I use it, but intrigued by the thought of healthy crock pot recipes I decided I'd give this a shot.  Last night was a beef and broccoli dish. 

Venison and broccoli "clean" recipe.  Pretty tasty!


The "sauce" it made was more of a broth, but for those of us who are turned off a bit by the overly sweet and thick sauces you get from a takeout joint this was definitely a refreshing and welcome change.  With permission from the recipe author, Kerry Bossard, here is the recipe:

Day 2: Afternoon
We LOVE Chinese food in our house, but between the high sodium and heavy ingredients, it always leaves me feeling "blah". This recipe has helped curb that craving and made me feel good about what I'm feeding the kids. I always steam extra broccoli plain on the side because my kids don't like theirs with "sauce", and then I can skip the rice. Enjoy!!

Beef and Broccoli
2 lb Flank Steak cut into strips, width-wise (this makes for easier shredding at the end!)
2 cups fresh broccoli, chopped
4 green onions, sliced length-wise (optional)
1/2 C low sodium Beef Broth
2 T liquid aminos
2 cloves minced garlic
1 t ground ginger
1 t onion powder

Spray crock pot with non-stick Olive oil spray Place flank steak in crock pot. If using green onions, sprinkle on top of steak. Mix together beef broth, liquid aminos, garlic, and spices, and pour over meat. Cook on low 6 1/2 hours. Shred beef using 2 forks and add broccoli. Cook an additional 30 minutes, or until broccoli reaches desired tenderness. Can serve over brown or wild rice, or with additional steamed veggies.

This morning they posted a recipe for clean and healthy Swedish meatballs.  Which is timely as I was thinking of making Swedish meatballs as an appetizer this Sunday.  Now I have to decide...which meatball recipe do I use?  I'm half tempted to make one of each and see which one every body likes better.  To even the playing field a bit I would use venison for both.  If only I didn't have so much other stuff going on for Sunday as well I would definitely be up to the task of making both. 

I have a few cooking projects this weekend.  For tomorrow evening I am making a pork and hominy chili from Cooking Light.  I guess one could argue (if you're that person) that it isn't a chili, but more of a stew since it lacks the traditional beans.  But I find chili to be a very broad term and use it loosely to describe a variety of chili-like dishes.  I'll let you know how it turns out!  I'm also making moussaka for dinner on Sunday. 

Moussaka being assembled.  Meat sauce, cheese sauce
and eggplant.  Comfort food!!

I was also initially planning a roasted veggie white lasagna (which is AWESOME) but found out a few minutes ago that three fewer adults than I initially expected aren't coming.  I don't think I'll need that much more food!  Sunday should be fun though, inviting folks over to welcome back Matt, Cort and Brennon from the Colorado trip, hear stories and see pictures.  I'm sad Brennon and his family won't be joining us, maybe next time!  But as of right now I'll have me, Matt, my folks, and maybe my nieces, Cort, his wife and two daughter, his in laws and Matt and Cort's folks. 

Hmm...now that I'm thinking about it though, I have all the ingredients for the lasagna, I  might as well make it also.  Because...leftovers! 

Busy schedule for the next few days.  Last night I made it out to yoga for the first time in forever.  Tonight I'm going out to dinner with my mom for Local Restaurant Week.  Tomorrow is a chili party and then dinner chez Ruminski Sunday.  I thrive on being busy though.  It isn't until I have what appears to be an unmanageable list of things to do am I actually motivated to do them (ask me how this attitude impacted my grades throughout high school and college).  So after work today, I go into hyper drive and I'm actually looking forward to it.  Throw on a few podcasts and away we go!

Do you have any fun plans for this weekend? 
Have you tried "clean" eating?  Any recipes you'd recommend?


1 comment:

  1. "The E-cigarettes smok vape suppress addiction to a certain extent smok vaporizers
    and Atomizer vape Smok Nord 2 accessories,as a vape shop,sell all vape tank product near ,check it out"

    ReplyDelete